Friday, March 14, 2014

QotD: *%&# Your Loser Talk Edition

From my friend Don, who I have known via the interwebs and real life for near a decade and a half, since a time when CCW in Illinois seemed an impossible dream, on his first day carrying on a Land o' Lincoln shall-issue permit:
I don't think my satisfaction at winning a 15-year political battle (for me--I have people in my local organization who were getting arrested at the Capitol 25 years ago) is unwarranted. There is a long way to go and more fighting to be done, and there will be wins and losses. But not today. Today is a huge win. You don't have to celebrate with us if you don't want to, but nothing you say is going to wipe the smile off my face.

The first time Illinois Carry's founder approached one of the main sponsors of this year's Firearm Concealed Carry Act, that downstate legislator from a rural district flatly told them that "People will never pass a law to let people carry loaded guns in this state." He wasn't even personally opposed, he just figured it was impossible.


But we have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty. Possibly we were just too pretty to lose. 
Alaska has won, Illinois is winning, California will win. Shut your mouth with the loser talk, hop out of the wagon, and help pull this thing.

Congrats, Don. Excelsior!
.

14 comments:

gth871r said...

I look forward to the day when I can stroll through Central Park or along the reflecting Pool at the National Mall with my cocked and locked 1911 on my hip. I think that day is no more than a few years off.

-Mike

Joel said...

Awright! Enjoy the victory, and thank God for the activists.

Old NFO said...

Congrats to ALL those who stood up and helped!!!

NotClauswitz said...

Congratlations indeed, and heave-ho!!

Murphy's Law said...

Good on those who fought the fight, indeed. As for the nay-sayers..you can count on them to keep dragging their feet and doing the Eeyore thing right up until CCW becomes law of the land, at which point, those naysayers will be some of the first people in line to apply. And you can count on them to refuse to credit those who made it possible, too. Saw it in my state when we passed CCW.

Keads said...

Congrats! I will continue to do my part here.

Kevin said...

Extra bonus points for the Firefly reference!!

Anonymous said...

Indeed. But then I cannot imagine a situation where an appropriate quote from Firefly or Serenity did not apply.

:-)

BSR

Anonymous said...

Alaska has won, Illinois is winning, California will win. Shut your mouth with the loser talk, hop out of the wagon, and help pull this thing.

Thank you. That needs to be said by a lot more people.

og said...

"Shut your mouth with the loser talk, hop out of the wagon, and help pull this thing."

Oorah. Every thing that gets done, gets done by people who DO IT, and not just cry about how it sucks.

Ecurb said...

"I have people in my local organization who were getting arrested at the Capitol 25 years ago".
See, that's the kind of thing that makes me thing we're judging OCers a bit harshly.

Kristophr said...

I work for the day that hippies have to have an expensive permit to not carry.

Someone has to carry the cost of protecting them, it should BE them.

Kevin S said...

Watching and waiting for events to unfold here in CA. Exciting times. I have a carry pistol on order, and am researching holsters. Not something I envisioned myself doing so soon.
As long as we've been waiting for this here, it all seems to be coming down rather fast, almost like watching the Berlin Wall crumble.

Netpackrat said...

There are still plenty of hoplos and off-limits areas here in AK, but it's definitely better than it used to be.