Tuesday, April 26, 2016

They work great until they don't...

I took that little Sig Sauer P250 Compact with me to Topeka, intending to run it in the class.

Lucky Gunner kindly sponsored the ammo for the class, and so instead of having to transport half a case of .380ACP halfway across the country, five hundred rounds of Armscor .380 was waiting for me at the range.

Saturday morning in the hotel room, I took the P250 apart, applied a drop of Slip2000 EWL to all the lubrication points, and reassembled the pistol.

After lunch on that first class day, preparatory to beginning the shooting portion of the curriculum, I swapped out the Glock 19 on my belt for the P250 and a Bladetech Eclipse holster. On the first drill from the holster, the gun began exhibiting issues. Multiple failure-to-eject and failure-to-feed issues, suspiciously like the Canik TP9v2 shooting Blazer Brass.

Fortunately everybody else in the class was shooting 9mm and Lucky Gunner had brought plenty of that, so I switched back to my G19 carry gun and finished up the class with it.

I brought the Armscor .380 ammo home with me and I'm about to take it to the range for some chrono work...

So, what are the lessons from this?

  1. Just because a gun has functioned with complete reliability up until this point, there's no guarantee it will continue to do so.

  2. Always bring a second gun to class. This is the second class I've been to now where a heretofore completely reliable pistol has $#!+ the bed hard, bright and early on the morning of the first day.