Monday, May 02, 2016

It's okay, honey; they didn't mean you.

As more and more people exploit the special snowflake loophole to drag their livestock with them everywhere, even The New Yorker can't avoid taking notice:
"Are you going to ruin it for all of us?” one of my dog-fancying friends asked, when I told her that I was writing this article. I was surprised to learn how many of my acquaintances were the owners of so-called emotional-support animals. They defend the practice by saying that they don’t want to leave their pets home alone, or they don’t want to have to hire dog-walkers, or they don’t want their pets to have to ride in a plane’s cargo hold, or that Europeans gladly accept dogs everywhere. They have tricks to throw skeptics off guard. “People can’t ask about my disability,” one friend told me. “But if I feel that I’m in a situation where I might have a struggle being let in somewhere with my dog, then I come up with a disorder that sounds like a nightmare. I like to be creative. I’ll say I lack a crucial neurotransmitter that prevents me from processing anxiety and that, without the dog, I’m likely to black out and urinate.”
Nobody's the villain in their own narrative. As a matter of fact, in our participation ribbon culture, everybody's the star, and the petty rules and signs and placards and flight attendant announcements don't apply to them.


.