Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Annoyance...

Tuesday morning marked another trip to the indoor range at Indy Arms Co. for respite from the heat and (especially) the humidity at MCF&G. I had with me another hundred rounds of Lucky Gunner's 180gr Remington UMC FMJ 10mm ammo.

On round number thirty-three of the day (#1,413 of the test) there was a failure-to-feed malfunction absolutely identical to the ones on the last two range outings with this ammo: Round was nose-up with the cartridge rim just barely not under the extractor claw. A slap of the floorplate and the slide went into battery normally.

Like both previous times, it happened in one of the first few rounds in the magazine and this time I took note of the mag number (#3). I wish I'd done that before, because it nags at me that these malfunctions have three things in common:
  1. All with the Remington UMC ammo.
  2. All with a relatively full magazine.
  3. All since I purchased magazines #3 and #4.
Really do wish I'd bothered to take notice of which mag it was the previous two times.

Anyhow...

I fired the first box at the five yard line and then moved the target back to ten. It was hot, I was cranky, my glasses were fogging, I'd already fired fifty rounds of 10mm, and all those other excuses...

This makes 1480 rounds since the Glock 20 was cleaned or lubricated, with five failures to feed (#401, #454, #1,213, #1,297, #1,413) and four failures to fire (#598, #1,016, #1,029, #1,376). 520 rounds to go.
.