Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Some monkey's uncle...

At first we didn't think we'd get a good look at the white-faced gibbons. You could barely make out a couple, 'way up top of a 'rock' in the corner of the cage, when suddenly the one who was practicing hairdressing noticed us...
"Girl! Just look at this hair! It is a mess!"
...and leaped into the abyss from its clifftop eyrie, brachiating through the limbs and ropes down to where we were in order to get a closer look. Indeed, we were rather thoroughly scrutinized...

When you stare long into a gibbon cage, the gibbon also stares into you.
After a few long, pensive moments (and a thorough tactile exploration of one of its nostrils) it headed back up the cliff and returned to its grooming chores.


Bonus! Overheard in the Office:
Me: "Did you happen to notice if that was a little fella gibbon or a little filly...?"

RX: "You know, I don't make a habit of..."

Me: "...Staring at the genital area of the monkey hanging on the cage in front of you?"

RX: "No. And people that do, need help."

15 comments:

LawDog said...

Just for a moment I thought you had pics of Congress at work ...

Billll said...

"Somethin tells me
it's all happening
at the zoo.."

As the tune goes. Now I need to dig up a copy on the net.

Matthew said...

Situational awareness is not an on and off thing.

Little boy gibbons can likely pee farther, and with better tracking...

Stuart the Viking said...

When I was in High School, my mother and I stopped in to an exotic pet store just to look around a bit. There was a Lion out back and various cages with large birds and monkeys. I heard my mother say "That monkey is sitting on a blue toy". To which my reply was "MOM! THAT'S NOT A TOY!"

Worst case of blue balls I've ever seen I'll tell ya.

s

Tirno said...

My name is Ozymandias, king of gibbons.

Gaze upon my monkey-junk, ye upright primates, and despair.

Old NFO said...

Good ones... LOL

Joanna said...

If an interesting monkey can't have an interesting hairdo, then I don't know what things are coming to.

Steve Skubinna said...

Those people need help doing what? Staring?

Exurbankevin said...

The one playing playing guitar, though, is male named Billy.

Billy Gibbon.

Thank you. Please, try the veal.

eeky said...

Tam, if you keep perpetuating the heresy of calling apes monkeys, I'll be forced to tell all my new shooters that magazines are called "Tam-clips" to balance the karma.

Sorry, but it's just tough love.

PS: Horde or Alliance?

Tam said...

Horde.

Tell 'em fragments are shrapnel, too, while they're loading their bullets in their Tam-clips. ;)

(While I'll make occasional note of minor terminology errors, I rarely get upset about them, and refuse to shy away from making one for the sake of a good laugh. :D )

Odysseus said...

You Gibbon me any lip?

Steve Skubinna said...

I load my Garand with Tam-clips. My Sig 556 however, feeds from a Tam-azine.

Anonymous said...

My question, shouldn't the gibbon move her salon to Broad Ripple?

I mean all the other hair salons in Indianapolis are there.

Shootin' Buddy

LabRat said...

Playing catchup on my blogreading...

Actually, for that species you don't need to check the crotch; the females are blonde and the males black.

Makes life easier, other primate genitals can be sort of alarming. I was deeply confused until I figured out that for spider monkeys, the clitoris is quite a bit larger than the penis. (Yes, I had a reason to be that concerned.)